Friday, April 20, 2012

Disaster Averted

We had our inspection yesterday and it went really well.  The inspector complemented our builder’s work over and over.  It was a relief to hear the positive feedback since the house is going up fast.  We could tell the builder and his crew knew what they were doing, but we still had hoped they weren't cutting corners in the interest of time.  Now we've been reassured the crew is just that good. 

While we were waiting for our inspector to arrive, we stumbled upon a potential disaster.  We emailed all of our ceramic tile choices to the builder on Monday so they could order the supplies.  Most of our tile choices are fairly neutral except for the main level half bath.  I decided to step out of the neutral box and chose a really dark (almost black) tile.  I’d been hoping I wouldn’t regret that choice.  If we hate it, at least it was a small bathroom, and not a large area.

We arrived at the house yesterday and to our surprise, they were already done laying tile, except for the kitchen/eating area.  They left the kitchen undone since that area would see a lot more foot traffic.  The half bath looks great and I’m glad I chose something a little more dramatic.  The inspector was running late so I moseying around the house a little more.  I went out to the garage and stumbled upon many unopened boxes of the dark tile.  It dawned on me the builder was planning to install this dark tile in our entire kitchen/eating area too!  We called the builder over right away and pointed out their mistake.  Thank GOODNESS they decided to wait before installing the kitchen tile, or that would have been a much more uncomfortable conversation. 

We think they messed up the tile names.
Our kitchen tile is named Canyon Slate (on left) 
while our half bath tile is named Midnight Copper Slate (on right).





Drywall will be finished today so we will get out there later tonight to snap some pictures. 
I’m looking forward to seeing the actual room sizes.




No comments:

Post a Comment