Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I'm Nesting




Although,
instead of cleaning like a mad woman,
my nesting instincts are
driving me to sew.

On Bob & Cindy's last visit,
they brought me the sewing machine
that once belonged to Matt's grandma.

At first, I felt intimidated by it.
I don't ever recall using a sewing machine before.
But, after a lesson from Cindy,
I tried a few things on my own.



First I tried a decorative pillow for the nursery glider.







When that went well I tried a few baby blankets.





It was fun to pick out fabric
and put together the baby blankets.
Now I need more girlfriends to have babies
so I have an excuse to make more.









My most recent adventure in sewing
is the book rack shown in the picture above.

For weeks now, I've tried to find
a forward facing book rack for the baby's room.

I wanted something that would display the covers
and make it easier for toddler Snegosky hands
to pick out a book.

I scoured Pinterest and found many ideas
(rain gutters, Ikea spice racks, etc).
But eventually gave up on the DIY route
and checked the big box retailer websites.

That's when I found this book rack.
It was affordable and exactly what I wanted,
except for the ugly pastel colored book pockets.

My recent pillow and blanket successes
must have given me
a boost of confidence in my sewing abilities.
I decided to order it and make my own pockets.

It was easier said than done,
but I am thrilled with the final product!








Here are the pockets it came with,
which are perfect for my Easter baby!
However, not as ideal for year round use.






Onto my next sewing project... TBD.




1 comment:

  1. so proud of you! Look at your martha stewart skills....I cannot wait to see what you can whip up in a couple of years :)

    ReplyDelete