I was quite the tomboy growing up.
Aside from shooting hoops or throwing a ball,
I loved to explore.
I grew up in the country with plenty of room to roam.
Many summer days consisted of catching
snakes, toads, and salamanders.
My brother & I would lift up old pieces of wood or used tires
hoping to find a neat insect or amphibian.
To find a salamander was like hitting the jackpot.
We would place all of our finds in an old plastic kiddie pool,
where, with the help of my brother's toy John Deere tractor,
we landscaped the perfect home containing
rolling hills, tiny rivers, and transplanted weeds.
Our captured friends lived forever about two days
in perfect harmony.
Fast forward 20 years.
I am scared to death of snakes, insects, and amphibians!
On today's afternoon jog,
I almost jumped out of my skin
when I saw a salamander cross my path.
On the drive home, I looked down and
was horrified to see an ugly bug crawling up my arm.
I flicked it away and anxiously searched for where it landed
throughout the rest of my drive home.
Naturally, my question is...
What happened to this tough tomboy?

No comments:
Post a Comment