*This was found as unpublished from last year.
I'm publishing it now as I'm updating the blog for 2019.*
I'm publishing it now as I'm updating the blog for 2019.*
We have been back for almost two weeks
and still my heart is back in Haiti.
The people we met and the things we experienced
changed me forever.
I knew poverty existed in the world
but I didn't realize the extent of the poverty.
The hardest thing about leaving
was knowing I'm living my "cushy" life
while the people in Haiti continue
to spend every day just trying to survive.
We have so much complaining here.
I'm guilty too!
But we have it SO good.
Even our poor here are wealthy by Haitian standards.
The views are beautiful
and I couldn't help but snap pictures
of the gorgeous mountains
and lush fields of mango trees.
Those pictures are not the big picture.
The big picture contains trash everywhere.
Dirty water used for everything.
Men, women, children, elderly that are
entirely WAY too skinny.
No jobs.
Sickness.
Shacks.
And surprisingly enough,
a content and happy (on the surface),
loud and passionate
population of people.
Almost everyone I smiled or waved to
had an even bigger smile and wave in return.
They have little but that is what they know.
They don't know anything else.
I think of my own girls
and their despair
if their iPads or LeapPads are not fully charged.
Or if they can't get on the Wi-Fi.
How they snub their noses at meals.
Complain they are starving
and have nothing to do. No toys to play with.
We all do it.
I'm guilty too.
The mission trip added perspective,
but also a desire deep in my soul
to return to Haiti and continue
to do God's work.
Use those CrossFit muscles and help the Haitians
mix concrete and shovel rock.
A dollar per day sends a Haitian to school
for the entire year.
A DOLLAR.
I've seen their classrooms
with classes in session.
They work so hard
and want to better themselves.
Some walk a very long way to attend.
They are hard workers.
The government corruption and voodoo
makes helping difficult, but not impossible.
As I think back on our week in Haiti,
I think most about the children.
Grabbing our hands every chance they could get.
Walking with us down the gravel road
with a skip in their step and smile on their face.
I think about the women and men
we handed out rice and beans to
and all of their many needs we prayed for with them.
The people who proudly claimed they were Christians
and those who weren't quite ready to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment